Post-Operative Fracture Instructions
These instructions are designed to promote healing, safety and comfort.
- Keep head elevated above your shoulders while sleeping for the first 3 days
- Use wax over sharp wires for comfort
- Use Vaseline or another soothing lip balm on lips as needed for comfort
- Excellent oral hygiene is MANDATORY. Gently brush teeth with small, soft brush and toothpaste, and rinse with warm salt water (1/2 tsp in 8 oz water)
- Proper nutrition must be maintained – high protein, high-calorie liquid diet.
- Do not drink alcohol or use recreational drugs.
- Do not smoke
- Do not use mouthwash or peroxide
- Avoid any further trauma to jaw. Restrict further exertion. Walking is encouraged.
- Notify us for loose wired, ability to move jaw, teeth, fever, increasing swelling, redness, pain or drainage
- Go to the Emergency Department immediately for difficulty in breathing or swallowing.
- Take medications as prescribed.
- While you are using narcotic pain medicine, do not drive, drink alcohol or perform any activity which requires attentiveness.